Monday, July 25, 2011

Don't KISS and tell...


Okay. I am! Yesterday, I was invited to see KISS perform at the closing of Heavy MTL. It was a little bit of a departure from what I am used to in terms of concerts and multimedia spectacles, but in my quest to showcase the best in arts and entertainment, I immediately jumped onboard.

Upon arrival onsite, you could just tell this was a hardcore festival and no ballet. So maybe I should have gotten a tattoo, worn black, and gotten some chains, but there I was and ready to dive in. I was wearing a navy polo but I was the only person on site wearing a polo t-shirt; one in-a-series of wardrobe misses.

My sidekick for my night out at Heavy MTL was Donnie Whalberg’s future wife, a music industry professional who has worked with KISS a number of times in the past year.

We arrived early to take in everything that the backstage had to offer. Little did we know that celebrity chef Chuck Hughes (Garde Manger & Chuck's Day Off) did all the catering. I was once told the importance of good food on tour (good food = happy artists). Chuck has been everywhere these days: sitting next to a good friend en route from Toronto to Montreal, NBC’s Today Show in MTL, and now Heavy MTL.

Although I was a bit skeptical to try his food for the very first time where he had to cook for so many people, I did anyway because I was hungry (and I also felt I needed to bulk up for the evening). It was amazing: lentil salad, a mini meatball sub and poutine! Delicious! After chatting with Chuck my sidekick and I were ready for the main stage.


Thousands were in attendance and some people even brought their children. Special shout out to the people at St John Ambulance who were on hand inside the first aid tent! Having friends inside this tent somehow made me feel safe. For example, if I got hurt in the mosh pit, I knew exactly where to go (if I could get out). Luckily, our all access pass enabled us to watch the show from a great location away from the massive crowd.


KISS was amazing (complete with fireworks, lots of pyro, and of course their over-the-top costumes) but this night was all about the experience. Memorable indeed!

Celebrity chef Chuck Hughes and Donnie Whalberg's future wife (or should I say Chuck Hughes future wife)

KISS...




I'd like to end this post with Amy Winehouse. A true talent and the kind of voice that you rarely come across. The definition of a star. She was unique and it's a tragedy that she left this world at only 27. RIP Amy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment